We no longer have to stress about entering a password to unlock our phones thanks to Face ID. With just one facial capture, we can gain access to our phones, use apps, and even make online payments.
When Face ID stops working, it can be stressful, but don’t worry—here are the necessary troubleshooting techniques.
Check your Face ID Settings
Face ID not working? Your problem might be easy to solve. It’s either it hasn’t been enabled or Face ID has recently been disabled for the apps or features you’re trying to access.
Here’s how to check:
- Go to the settings app and then tap Face ID & Passcode
- Enter passcode if requested
- Ensure that Face ID is turned on for the feature you’re trying to unlock. Face ID works on any third-party apps that support Face ID.
Check to make sure nothing is obstructing your Face ID camera.
Apple’s iPhone has a front-facing camera called a “TrueDepth Camera,” which simultaneously records visual data and depth information.
Make sure the notch is not covered, and that it is always clean and free of any type of moisture or dirt that might interfere with facial recognition.
Make your Face visible to the camera
Similar to how Covering your Face ID prevents it from working. If your face is hidden or only partially visible, the face ID won’t function.
Here are some things to take note of:
- Always make sure the camera can see your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Use Face ID in a well-lit area at all times.
- Face ID works whether or not you’re using eyeglasses, but some glasses interface with facial recognition if as a result try taking the glasses off and re-using face ID again.
Add an alternate appearance
Face ID will continually adapt to the changes of the majority of users. In order for Face ID to still recognize you if your appearance changes significantly, you can set up a different appearance.
For a different appearance to be set up:
- Go to Settings, then tap Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
- Tap Set Up an Alternate Appearance.
- Place your face inside the frame while looking directly into your iPhone or iPad.
- If you can’t turn your head, tap Accessibility Options; otherwise, gently turn your head to finish the circle.
- After the initial Face ID scan is complete, select Continue.
- Once more, gently turn your head to complete the circle.
- Tap Done once Face ID setup is complete.
Reboot your smartphone.
Restarting helps to fix temporary issues on your device. Occasionally, try restarting your device to ensure proper functionality. The way of restarting an iPhone varies depending on the kind of iPhone series. Check below to see how:
To restart the iPhone 13, 12, 11, X, XR:
Press and hold the power button while holding either the up or down volume button.
Drag the slider on your screen to the right, then wait for 30 seconds for the process to complete.
To restart the iPhone 6, 7,8, or SE:
Press and hold the power button
Drag the slider that appears to the right
Wait for 30 seconds
Enter your password after restarting your iPhone.
Try Face ID again
Reset Face ID
Resetting Face ID restores it to the default settings
How to reset:
- Go to settings
- Tap Face ID and password
- Tap Reset Face ID
- Set up Face ID
If you have tried the aforementioned techniques and Face ID is still not functioning correctly for you, Get in touch with Apple Support.